I guess I should preface this by saying that, while I don't wish to step on any toes, I'm also unapologetic about my views and the principals that I hold to. I've been dying to talk about politics here for a long, long time. Politics are important to me, and, especially living in our vastly liberal nation's capitol, I feel it's important to stay current on the issues. That's not only for my own knowledge, but also for the inevitable times when I come under criticism simply for being a conservative Republican.
What I don't get, specifically, is the appeal of Obama to Christians. It's a thought that I've struggled with recently, and am absolutely dumbfounded by. I just can't figure it out. If you believe that faith and politics cannot be divided, if you believe that redistribution of wealth is, in fact, wrong, if you believe in preserving the sanctity of marriage, if you believe in actually winning the war that we're in, and protecting our country in the future, if you believe in protecting the lives of those without a voice, if you believe a candidate's record, not his promises, are most important, if you believe in correcting the economy, if you believe that honesty and integrity are important characteristics in your candidate, I'm not sure how you could then vote for anyone but McCain.
That's not to say that McCain was my first choice. While Obama and Biden are trying to say that McCain is just another Bush, he's sadly less conservative than our current President. One area where I'm particularly thankful that he differs in, however, is that he is fiscally conservative! Yeah! While Bush has been pounded for his lack of fiscal restraint, (interestingly, a likely attempt at bridging the gap between parties, because no one spends like a Democrat) McCain and Palin both have worked to reform spending. Watching the debate last night, I looked at Ryan and said, "I will be so grateful if they win." It would be a totally different country. Real change. Good change.
One thing I've been hearing a lot of lately is that our values have no place in government, because we can't allow our own personal beliefs to affect our government. I have to say, I'm absolutely appalled by that, and I'm surprised that more people aren't. Quite frankly, if our values as Christians are not made known, those with opposing values DO make their own values known in the realm of government--values such as "tolerance", the right to choose, (the decision to take a life that has already been created) the destruction of the sanctity of marriage, a complete disdain for all things Christian, (though, other religions are fine) and the absurdly unfair notion that simply because you make a lot of money, the government should have the right to take more from you. I believe that our country has been blessed because in the past we have been, and hopefully mostly still are, a people of faith, specifically Christian faith. Now we want to get rid of God, and expect to thrive as a nation.
I mentioned my opposition to the notion of "tolerance" within our society, and, interestingly, these very proponents of tolerance are, in my experience, the LEAST tolerant of those with opposing viewpoints. If you oppose gay marriage, you're labeled as homophobic, and told that your views are "hate speech." Churches are even coming under attack over this, and the future of "free speech" actually looks pretty dim if you're a Christian. If you're against abortion, you're slammed for wanting to limit the rights of women. I'm more concerned about the lives that these women are taking, the lives of innocent little ones who have no voice. And in turn, I'm concerned about the lives of women who do choose an abortion, because it's something they will struggle with for many years to come. Even the men involved, who often do not get a choice, or even a voice in these matters, struggle with the "choices" women are making.
Even for a Democrat, Obama is shockingly extreme in his approach to abortion. "He opposed the ban on partial-birth abortion -- a practice a fellow Democrat, the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, once called "too close to infanticide." Obama strongly criticized the Supreme Court decision upholding the partial-birth ban. In the Illinois state Senate, he opposed a bill similar to the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act, which prevents the killing of infants mistakenly left alive by abortion." (Read the whole Washington Post article here) Forget the debate over when a child is actually deemed a child, Obama won't even protect them once they're out of the womb! Partial-birth abortions, in addition, are absolutely horrendous--occurring in the THIRD trimester. Brooke could make my entire belly move by the time we hit the 3rd tri. Especially as a parent to a perfect little girl, even if there were no other issues I disagreed with the man about, THIS would be enough for me to not vote for him. That he could have such a disregard for life should bother more people than it apparently does.
I'm absolutely opposed to redistribution of wealth, because it's as Anti-American a notion as any. We're in the land of opportunity, but if you happen to make too much, you're going to be punished for it. (Businesses also happen to fall into this category, which would be an absolute nightmare for our economy, in a time of spreading unemployment.) Last night, during the debate, Senator Biden said "back where I'm from, that's called "fairness."" No, that's the exact opposite of fairness. Like most Americans, we're struggling financially, but I don't want a handout from the government, especially at the expense of other Americans. Not to mention the fact that those making over 250k will NOT be the only ones with tax hikes. I don't believe for one second that a Democrat President will not raise taxes on practically everyone. It's what they do. Obama outlined his plan for tax increases, and while it sounded all well and good, (for those not bothered by redistribution of wealth) it did NOT account for all of the money he would need to fuel his proposed 1 trillion of additional spending. In fact, it accounted for very little of it. While those in the 250k+ bracket would likely be the first to experience the tax hikes, they would not be the only ones.
Democrats are now trying to blame the Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac crisis on Republicans. Because I worry many people don't actually look into it, I'm afraid a lot of people are going to buy into that, but it's a completely false claim. Take, for instance, this 1999 New York Times article, which says, "Fannie Mae, the nation's biggest underwriter of home mortgages, has been under increasing pressure from the Clinton Administration to expand mortgage loans among low and moderate income people and felt pressure from stock holders to maintain its phenomenal growth in profits." Or this article, which states, "Over the past ten years, Fannie and Freddie spent over $200 million on lobbying and campaign contributions. Democrats Chris Dodd, John Kerry, and Barack Obama — the top recipients of Fannie and Freddie largesse — have all broken the $100,000 mark. It should come as no surprise that Senate Democrats were the key obstacle to reforming Fannie and Freddie when Congress had a chance in 2005, before the mortgage crisis spiraled out of control."
Ultimately, whichever candidate you choose, you're also choosing their party. There just isn't a single issue that I side with the Democrat party on.
No matter who you support, I think we'd all agree that this will be a pivotal election, and I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I want the best for our country, and the best for my family, and while I know we have survived some pretty horrible presidencies, and God is in complete control, I've been in prayer a lot for the future of our country. I'm optimistic about this coming election, though, and hopeful that there are many, many others who feel along the same lines as I do.
I'm not sure if anyone actually has gotten down this far, but if you have, I'm impressed. :) I know politics and the current campaign, for different reasons, are a sore spot for a lot of people. In any event, I hope you all have had a great week, and I hope that you'll have a wonderful weekend! :)
While I don't agree with your choice, and some of your opinions, I think it's great that you shared them, and I think you stated your opinions very well! :-)
I'm still rooting for Obama! ;-)
Have a great day!
#
posted by Anonymous :
10:10 AM, October 03, 2008
Thanks for posting... I completely agree with you. What makes me sad is that if people ask me who I'm voting for (I don't usually bring the topic up, because it's pretty personal, but if someone asks,) and they find out it's NOT Obama, they act like I'm "betraying" the young generation and women. I know that I have a better understanding of things and I don't simply listen to what the media says to make my decision. I wish more people were willing to stand behind their values and uphold them in this country. Especially the "younger generation." I think they let the media and their hatred for Bush influence their decision, with very little understanding of just what that decision will mean for this country.
First, let me say you are an extremley good writer. I am novice in the whole blogging thing, but I have already found it fun and challenging. My whole goal is to be able to detail my life with family with the occasional side story :-) through this blogging thing.
Secondly, I couldn't agree with you more in every argument you wrote; however, there are some "fundamental differences." Thought you would like that rhetoric ... sounds like the debates.
My proposed (still undecided) vote wouldn't be for Obama as much as it is anti-Bush and anti-McCain. I 100% agree that it can be argued that the democrats are to blame for economic downfall. However, I blame the American people for not seeing it, excepting it and allowing their representatives in the House and Congress. I also blame George Bush for not sounding the alarm on it or any other leader for not sounding the alarm on this issue. He is the President of the US for crying out loud. If he "truly" sees something like this coming, as the leader of the free world, people would have listened, but he didn't do it. McCain hasn't distanced himself from that man with no credibility (George Bush) and Barak has done so and Biden definitely did so last night.
I don't want to vote for Barak Obama. I don't agree with many of his values and ideals, but I honestly believe an America with another four years of anything like George Bush's Presidency is ten times worse off than in the hands of Barak Obama.for four years.
McCain can win and I will absolutely vote for him if he does three things:
(1) Come out swinging and show me he can be a leader and lead us and give American's the confidence it is lacks in our current President. That guy needs to get some moxy. He could bury Obama if he would loosen up his tie and tell it straight to the American people.
(2) Give me a plan on each of the issues surrounding what I care about. I haven't heard anything yet that doesn't sound like the last four years. I want a plan for the economy, energy, the war, security, healthcare, education and border patrol. I can verbalize Obama's plan right now on all of those issues. I can only tell you bits and peices of McCain's (sort of like Palin did last night). I am not getting it all with them.
I don't even like a lot of Obama's plans .... I don't want to be taxed at 39.5%, but at the same time, I don't want to keep fighting a war with no merit. We should have been long gone well before now.
(3) Come out and distance yourself with George Bush. I don't expect him to villify George Bush, but he stands little chance of winning if he doesn't get real close to denouncing his presidency as a failed effort of the last eight years.
That's all :-). Can I post your blog to my site, so people can view it? It is very well done and I look forward to reading more often. Feel free to continue to villify me as most of my friends don't agree with me at all on this issue!
WOO-HOO! You go girl! This past week our bank (Wachovia) and our mortgage and credit card company (WaMu) got bought. I was going to vote Independant (Constitutional Party) but realized that we all have to band together and stop the madness that is Obama-messiahism. And shame on us for exhibiting so much apathy in America!
Oh, Emily...still towing the party line...and I had such high hopes for you! It's good to see though, that you'll live with God's decision on November 4th, when He decides to put his brotha in the White House!
Sometimes God's decision to put in/allow a person a position of leadership is judgement on the people for not honoring Him! I pray that we don't incurr His judgement in that way.
Emily,
Daily prayer for our country is the most important thing we can do, I believe! I appreciated the points you made! Trusting God, Eva
Wow, that was amazing. I would really like to post some of this on my site so people can read it. you really have a future in writing...! my dad is a marine, retired, but still a marine. he went to iraq at age 52 - changed his unit so he could go. believes 100% that we should be over there. nowni'm not a huge fan of mccain, but i believe that his morals are more important than the politics. as a believer, i believe that mccain's views on abortion and the war far outweigh any political view. i'm not really "into" politics but as a christian i cannot and will not vote for obama.
Way to go! I agree completely with all of this! I think that if Obama is elected, things will only get worse! He went back on this word with funding, doesn't support the troops, and that's just the start of things. Way to go!
Sorry, but I'll have to disagree on a couple of points.
First of all, redistribution of wealth was actually introduced by the first Christian community as told in the book of Acts. Ananias and Sapphira were actually stuck dead for secretly keeping some of their money for themselves. It was communism, straight up. Jesus was also a major proponent of helping the poor and widowed, and gave no prerequisites about how deserving they had to be before his followers were to offer help them. So I don't find it that puzzling that a Christian would support such policies.
I personally have a problem with Christians claiming to own the "sanctity of marriage" trademark. Marriages existed in cultures long before the ones recorded in the Bible. They were social and civil unions in addition to occasionally being sacred unions, and they were happening in many other religions than Christianity (and still do). Homosexuals are often picked on, but I don't see Christians telling Buddhists, Muslims, and people of other religions that they aren't allowed to call their union a marriage because the Bible doesn't okay it. People have different understandings of marriage, and I'm sure Christians wouldn't want people telling them their marriages aren't "real" just because they don't fit their belief system. I think a Christian can respect that and give people from other religious backgrounds the freedom to marry while still appreciating his or her religion's view of marriage.
I also think it's reasonable for a Christian to support a democratic candidate because the Democratic party supports the health and education of children much more strongly than the Republican party, according to the voting record of Congress.
If they were truly concerned about the silenced unborn voices, I would think the Republicans in congress would do more to assure that those voices have proper care as they grow up. I assume that the redistribution of wealth required for that kind of programming is what puts on the brakes.
Many frown upon mothers for making the choice to not carry a fetus to term, but the God of the Bible seemed to have no problem killing infants and unborn babies en masse. The Jewish law didn't even consider a baby younger than a month old a person.
If this is the example set forth by the God that Christians are trying to emulate, this God doesn't seem to set the example pro-life-ers put forth as the standard.
Personally, I think killing children is horrific. But I also think forcing a woman to bear a child that she can't support and then refusing to help her with it is pretty terrible, too.
As far as the economy goes, the economists surveyed in this recent article in The Economist seem to think that Obama will correct the economy better than McCain:
We obviously have some different ideas about what's best for our country, and we're both just skimming the surface, but it upsets me to read about Christians being criminalized spiritually due to choosing Obama as their candidate. I personally think it's just as sensible for them to support Obama or the Democratic party as it is for them to support McCain and the Republican party.
Your comment "But I also think forcing a woman to bear a child that she can't support and then refusing to help her with it is pretty terrible, too."
How did she come to bear the baby?She should have prevented "the unaffordable burden"! If you say, well, rape then, I dare to guess that the percentages of abortion due to rape would be 2% or less. Women and men need to be held responsible for their actions. She should bear the child and give it to some family who is willing and able to love the child. I am so glad that my fourth daughter was not aborted by her birthmom because she was a 16yo with out the ability to support her!
BTW, you are incorrect when you say, "Ananias and Sapphira were actually stuck dead for secretly keeping some of their money for themselves. " In acutallity they are admonished for lying to God and lying to the others about the money. They didn't have to give all, but be honest and not lie.
Acts 5:4 4 "While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God." NASU
God wants a cheerful giver; He doesn't require a socialist government where everyone gives all they have away. Read Jesus' own words here.
Matt 26:8-13 8 But the disciples were indignant when they saw this, and said, "Why this waste? 9 "For this perfume might have been sold for a high price and the money given to the poor." 10 But Jesus, aware of this, said to them, "Why do you bother the woman? For she has done a good deed to Me. 11 "For you always have the poor with you; but you do not always have Me. 12 "For when she poured this perfume on My body, she did it to prepare Me for burial. 13 "Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be spoken of in memory of her." NASU We should use and give our money to honor God and not man and if it helps others that is wonderful too.
I am praying for you Jessica. It hurts me to see the one who used to sing God's praises talking in such a fashion about Him and His Word. God is merciful to forgive and I pray you seek His forgiveness. Sincerely from another cousin, Eva
Emily,
I hope you don't mind me responding here. I don't have Jessica's email address anymore. Thanks, Eva
#
posted by Anonymous :
12:51 PM, October 11, 2008