Sunday, June 22, 2008

Secrets and Surprises -

For the past, oh, month and a half, I've been secretly organizing a surprise 50th birthday party for my Mom. It hasn't been easy, because we talk at least once a day, and I tell her pretty much everything. :) She was always MOM before all else while I was growing up, but, thankfully, after I went away to college, she became a really good friend. So, needless to say, secrets between us are very hard to keep!

I decided on a 50's diner theme for the party, since she was born in '58, (can I say that online? I guess you all can do the math!) and got to work on acquiring decorations online at ThemePartiesNMore and getting e-mail addresses from my Mom's address book while she was traveling back in May. With a diner theme, the menu, of course, consisted of burgers, fries, and soda floats, in addition to cake. With help from my Dad, we also created a slide show set to 50's and 60's music, which turned out really great.

On Saturday morning, my Dad got Mom out of the house at 11, and Ryan and I immediately set to work on decorating, and transforming their house. Mom absolutely had no idea what was going on.. evident, in part, by the fact that she didn't get herself all dolled up before leaving the house. :) As soon as they walked in the door, she was completely FLOORED as we yelled "Surprise!" followed by singing Happy Birthday for her. She points at Dad, saying, "I can't believe you!" while he points at me. "You're so bad!" she tells me. Thankfully she was HAPPY about the surprise, (she's a party person!) and we all celebrated for over 5 hours. :)


Mom's cake with strawberry filling!


Sky of records-- the main party area ~


Soda shop! (meant to take this before the meal... oops)
The blue bucket held glass replica Cokes!


The birthday girl!


Brooke and her Uncle Daniel :) She was SO good all day!


Rock 'n' Roll~


Me and my baby~


Mom opening gifts


More gift opening


Me and my hubby

So, after all the planning, decorating, and buying, the party was a success! Mom was happy and completely shocked, (best part) and everyone seemed to have a fun time.

Her actual birthday is on Tuesday, but I just want to wish my wonderful, amazing Mom, a very Happy Birthday. I love you!


1:38 PM

Comments:
You were so sneaky~but I love you anyway!
Mom
 
yay for loving families. looks like everyone had a great time, and your mom felt loved. your baby girl is just beautiful, emily. love you.

cousin jess
 
Post a Comment


<< Home





 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers