Well, we're settling into a little routine over here. As much as you can with a newborn, of course. :) It takes some getting used to with a first baby, because it completely changes life as you know it--in good ways, and in challenging ways, of course. She's doing well at night, though, and is sleeping in about 3 hour spurts. Not too bad for a week old, if you ask me!
I just took some video of her while Ryan is holding her. She's so precious. I am absolutely amazed at how different she is already looking. Her little cheeks are getting fuller, and her arms and thighs are starting to plump up. She's pretty adorable, if I may say so. :) One week, and one day old. It seems like the time has flown, yet it seems like she's been here for a lot longer than that!
Breastfeeding is going very well! Grace asked about it, so I thought I'd mention it. :) My milk came in the day after we got home from the hospital, (thanks to Grandmom's iced tea recommendation!) and she has been a happy camper ever since. I was completely against using formula, but by the second day in the hospital, she was always fussy because even though she was eating, her little tummy never felt full. I was told that if I went ahead and fed her, then offered her some formula, it wouldn't delay my milk coming in. Knowing that, we decided to give her a little formula during the second night at the hospital, and then the first night we were home. It helped her sleep better. I'm happy that I won't need to use formula anymore, though, because it is so much harder for her little tummy to digest!
I prepared for breastfeeding by reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by the La Leche League. If you're planning on breastfeeding, I would really recommend it! It's very long, but chock full of useful information. I'm so glad I had that knowledge before she got here, because it has been a real help. One thing they said that I believe now is that breastfeeding shouldn't be painful if you're doing it right. The only times it has ever hurt have been when she wasn't latched on well. You just have to break the suction and try again until it feels okay.
We went out and bought Brooke a bouncy seat on Friday evening. (We got the Fisher Price Rainforest one) She is SO wiggly and squirmy, so it's really perfect for her. She's a very strong, active little girl. You really don't know what your newborn will enjoy until they're already here, and you can figure out what they would benefit from. Once she's big enough, she is really going to LOVE her jumperoo, too!
Well, little miss Brooke has the hiccups, and is ready to eat, so I need to run. Just wanted to let you all know how we're doing! Have a GREAT weekend!
Well, looks like you all are doing well. Its good to see how fast she is growing. I had a lot of fun this weekend. Brooke is so precious. Lots of love-Courtney
#
posted by Anonymous :
4:43 PM, September 02, 2007
So glad everything is going well. I agree with your breastfeeding comment. Savannah was a pro at it and it never hurt. Enjoy every moment. Savannah weaned herself a month ago due to me having to work. It was hard to stop...it's such a bonding time. And it is a ton easier for their little bellies. :)
We have the whole rainforest line. Savannah loves her jumperoo now but until she got too big for it she loved the bouncer. She's very active just like yours. I'm sure little Brooke will probably love a jumperoo when she gets older.
Erin www.xanga.com/airdee26
#
posted by Anonymous :
7:01 PM, September 02, 2007