I was anxious ALL DAY on Friday, counting down till I could leave and meet Ryan for our ultrasound. That snow they had been calling for the day before decided to make an appearance on Friday instead, and it actually snowed quite a bit, for quite a long time, on our way there and back home.
This was my first external ultrasound, (my 8 week, 2 day u/s was an internal, since the baby is so small at that stage) and because I'm still in the pretty early stages, the one and only instruction they gave me was to drink 32 ounces of water right before my appointment. I always drink lots and lots of water (8-10 glasses a day) but 32 ounces at one time is any pregnant woman's nightmare! I actually waited and drank it all while I was still in the parking lot.
They called me back actually very quickly, got me into my gown and robe, and then had me wait in a "patients' lounge." Evil things. You think you got through pretty quickly, but no, you still have to wait. :) My bladder, all the while, is telling me I need to go RIGHT NOW, and unfortunately I still have a ways to go. I start flipping through a magazine to get my mind off of it, and flipped through it so fast that I had finished it by the time they finally called me me back.
Once I was in an actual room, they called Ryan in to wait with me. Poor guy. All I could tell him was how I was in agony. I was in physical PAIN because of my too-full bladder. At that point, I was hoping the ultrasound wouldn't last very long. (aren't I terrible?!) The nurse could tell I was uncomfortable, and told me that I could go to the restroom and let out "just a little!" Just a little? HOW do you go "just a little?!" I, of course, needed no convincing, though. I figured a little is better than nothing. Haha, was I wrong. :) Didn't do a darn bit of good, but that's all right.
Our technician came in, and asked a few questions regarding how far along I was, etc. She was a VERY nice lady. She put the device over my stomach, and said she just wanted to check to make sure the baby was a good size before she sent me over for bloodwork. (Apparently, the ONLY lady there who does that was about to leave) Our baby popped onto the screen, and, full bladder or not, it was the most excitingthing in the world.
After the bloodwork was done, I was allowed to finally use the restroom!! (Not sure why, but I wasn't complaining!) From there, we got back to the ultrasound part, which lasted a VERY long time, much to our delight. :) At first, the baby wasn't moving much, but that didn't last long! He or she began to kick it's little legs, and move it's arms. It seemed like baby felt like he or she was slipping, and would suddenly try to propel itself upwards, to get a better position. :) The baby was VERY active, and got a lot of "awwwwww!"s out of me! :) It was so, so amazing. Such a beautiful baby. We are already so in love.
Here are sevenof the SEVENTEEN pictures they sent us home with! We couldn't believe it! :) Most women I've known that have had this particular u/s got 5 or 6 pictures... we got 17!!! I've actually already put them all in a little baby album... :)
Baby S.'s face (and hand)
Trying to slide back up! :)
Obviously my own caption there :) Look at that footprint!
My favorite picture of all! Baby has his or her hands over their face. :)
Baby, hands and feet. So precious!
Pretty amazing, isn't it? Our baby grew a LOT in 4 weeks!! :) I'm so thrilled to have so many pictures, too... I just keep looking at them over and over again.
Well, back to the 3rd annual Puppy Bowl! :) We've watched it ever since they first started it! Not too much longer before the Super Bowl starts either.. again I say, Go Colts!!
Hi there, I found your page through one of our similar blogrings. I just wanted to say that it's so exciting reading your blog about your journey through pregnancy. PS: The pictures are lovely :) Take care.
#
posted by Anonymous :
3:48 PM, February 04, 2007
What a blessing to be able to see your baby in the dark!!!! Do you have any incling as to what gender your carrying??
That is so precious. I am so glad the colts won too. May God Bless you and your baby. Have a great week. Tina
#
posted by Anonymous :
10:38 AM, February 05, 2007
As the proud dad, it was amazing. I am looking forward to the birth but at the same time glad it is a while off! Look at this! This is the first comment I left ya. Love ya babe!
#
posted by Anonymous :
11:42 AM, February 05, 2007