Yesterday afternoon, our (former) company president called me into his office. This isn't unusual, as I do his expenses. Inside his office sat two coworkers from the San Francisco office that I hadn't met yet. Our president proceeds to ask me how long we've known each other. "Well, I've been here over 4 years now," I said. This leads into him saying how we've established a great working relationship, how much he trusts me, etc. At this point, I start to figure I wasn't called in for expense reports.
As the majority of you already know, our company was acquired by our #1 competitor back in January. Since then, they've trained us in their new software, we're on a new schedule, etc. We've had to work very hard to transition. There have been very few job eliminations since the merger, and I had pretty much figured we were in the clear. Wrong.
So, basically, I was the first to find out that the accounting department, as well as the marketing department, are being eliminated. At first, I won't lie, I was freaking out with thoughts like, "oh my gosh, what am I going to do? This is it?" I was also thinking that I'd have no office to come to today, and that I'd get two weeks worth of pay, and need to have a new job lined up before that two weeks was up. However, my worries were quickly put to rest.
They want us to stay and help them make the transition until September 6th. If I do agree to stay, I get an incredible severance package, since I've worked here for so long, and because the new company is being exceptionally generous. So, of course, I'll be staying here till Sept. 6th, and the goal is to have a new job lined up by then, so we can put the money I get from severance towards our house fund.
So, this isn't a bad thing. :) Really. The hardest part is that I've been here so long, I love my coworkers, and yes, I've gotten comfortable, in that I'm confident in what I do, and have already established myself. Plus, I haven't interviewed in 4 1/2 years!!!
I've got an incredible support system, though! My hubby, of course, was the first to hear the news. He didn't freak out, but saw the opportunity as a good thing. Then I called my Mom, who told me, "you're being blessed." She told my Dad about it, and he called me later in the evening to offer his encouragement, advice, and hear my thoughts. I am definitely blessed.
I have peace about the fact that everything happens for a reason. I'm trusting, praying for guidance, and believing that I'll be led to where I need to be next. I'm looking at this as a good thing. :)
I would have freaked at the beginning of that conversation too! BUT you now have 4.5 years of experience AND I'm guessing some good references from there too! You will do fine on your job search!
I really like how you described this situation... "detour." God's sending you a different direction that what you had mapped out. But he's giving you the tools and resources to make this an excellent opportunity! I hope it all works out!!
It is a good thing! How exciting Em! I know its hard to step out of your comfort zone- but maybe God will provide a job that will expand your horizons..so to say. I love how youre so positive about it! Very encouraging. have a blessed day hun! Love Ya
WOW That is SOME news!! It's very exciting though, a whole new chapter to life! :-D And I'm sure you won't have ANY problem finding a nice new job. God WILL provide!! :-) Plus you get $$ to save for a house! Woo-Hoooo!!!
P.S. - I LOVE the last pic from your last post! YAY Black and White!
Thank you for your comment and support. We will definately be praying for you during this time. I must say you handled this with more grace then I could. I guess God is still allowing me to grow. Well God will be in with you this new transition. Keep going strong your an inspiration for me. God Bless!
wow! what a transition, but also an honor that he called upon you to come and talk to him! i hope that this works out completely in YOUR favor :) but as we kow God only does things that way...hold your head high girl, this is going to be a wonderful thing for you...i can feel it :) take care :) vincy