Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Women ~

Well, the Dr's appointment turned out to be much-ado-about-nothing. They took my weight, checked my blood pressure, asked a couple questions, and voila--a prescription for the next 12 months. (They had given me 3 months of free packs, back in December)

However, I was very pleasantly surprised! After the weight/blood pressure check, my Dr. came in, and announced, "Well! You've lost 6 pounds since your last visit." I had my one and only appointment with them on Dec. 5th--5 days before our wedding. I guess this diet has paid off already! I was floating on air after my appointment (which lasted all of 15 minutes from the time I arrived)... and put in another good workout at the gym, since I was so encouraged.

During the brief time I sat on the examing table waiting for my Dr., I glanced around the room at all the different things hanging on the wall. There's a really cute portrait next to the table, which is a close-up shot of a "brand new," just-born infant, and the proud, new Daddy, kissing the baby's head. It's precious. Then a framed list caught my eye.. it was called "I Am Not A Feminist, But..." It went on to say, very tongue-in-cheek, things like, "I'm pretty happy that I'm allowed to vote," or, "I'm thankful I can own land in my own name"--all things that most people wouldn't argue are indeed good things. But the one that really got me... "I'm glad that I'm able to control how many babies I want to have."

That one just made me ill.

I'm not a big fan of talk radio in the morning. Most of the time, I just want to hear some music, not some obnoxious radio personality talking about what he did over the weekend. At 7:15 AM, I really couldn't care less. But today, as I was scanning stations, I stopped on 105.1, which, unbeknownst to me, airs a Focus on the Family segment with Dr. Dobson from 7-7:30. In light of my appointment just yesterday, I kept it on the station because they were talking about abortion.

Apparently, today is national Women's Day? Didn't know this. Anyway, they had a woman on who wanted announce some good news... apparently, they have funded a new program that puts ultrasound units in crisis pregnancy centers... 200 centers now have units, to date. Women who come in these clinics, dead-set on having abortions, are able to see their little babies on these ultrasound units.... to date, over 10,000 babies that would've otherwise been aborted have been spared because their mommies fell in love with them on the screen. How powerful is that?

Well, back to work. Have a great day!


8:16 AM

Comments:
the pill may act contraceptively, but it also is designed to prevent the implantation of any possibly conceived baby from taking place. the expulsion of the fetus happens at a much earlier stage than in a traditional abortion (in the first days or weeks), but it is still an abortion if your definition of one is "any unnatural fetal expulsion caused after conception." so by taking birth control, you are also exercising your right to choose how many babies you want to have. just something to think about...
 
I have recently decided to never comment on my personal opinions regarding birth control or my choices regarding having kids because whenever I do, I get slammed. Anonymous has a good point though. ANYWAY! Glad the OB-GYN appointment went well and that your workouts are paying off!
 
pssst! Love you bunches and bunches!!!

((((enormousbuddyhug))))

Not much else to say besides that, lol :)
 
thank GOD. i will never understand such a selfish choice. how is our country more upset about animals dying than they are human babies dying. it's a pathetic state for a society to be in.
i didn't know today was national women's day. interesting.
congrats on your weight loss. silly girl, you don't need to lose any.. but i know how we all have our own personal goals, etc. you look fabulous. ; )
 
Congrats on the weight loss! But you look perfect anyways!! Have a great day!
 
I had heard somewhere the same news about the ultra-sounds at pregnancy centers. Very cool!

I'm very glad your appt. went well. I'm going in for my first obgyn appointment at the end of the month. (I'm already nervous/freaking out about it - I hate going to the doctor for flu symptoms! :-P)
 
Personally, I think there's a big difference between taking something that's primary function is to prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg... and choosing to abort a baby that has began developing.

The main argument I always hear that says it's a "fetus" and not a "baby" is that it isn't viable outside the womb. The womb acts as a life support system. So does that mean I can walk into an ICU and kill someone on life support? But it's not murder, right? Because that person isn't viable without that life support system. Being dependent on life support temporarily doesn't make it not worthy of life.

Okay sorry, just my reaction to other comments. I used to be pro-choice because I didn't think it was my right to tell a woman what to do. But then I thought about it and decided that wasn't right. That's like saying it's okay to hurt someone because I don't have the right to tell them not to.
 
Post a Comment


<< Home





 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers