Ryan gets very anxious whenever there is a knife in my hand. I'm just speculating, but it could have something to do with this incident, where I proved that knives and I don't play well together. Anyway, he forbid me to use a ridiculously enormous knife this morning to slice his bagel, even though it was the only clean knife we had left in our kitchen. (we apparently use a lot of knives) So he did it himself. Even though he has cut himself before, too. Hmm. Just not as recently as I have, I guess. :)
Ooo, I think I could be on to something. Maybe I could hurt myself with the dishwasher, and get him to do the dishes? Nah, that might look too obvious.
My Mom just sent me an Apple e-card to say, amongst other things, that there are birds in her birdfeeder. We send e-cards to each other constantly, (my Mom is a blessing) but this was meaningful because I mentioned that I, personally, never see birds in there. I bought her the slightly large, barely-able-to-fit-in-my-little-civic, white gazebo-style birdfeeder for her birthday last year, after she had mentioned that she really liked the one we saw on the side of the road while we were on our way to cousin Justin's wedding. I drove back to the little stand where we originally saw it, in order to get it for her. Aside from the guinea hen (the "blue chicken") we got her one year, I don't know if I've ever seen her so surprised. It's the best thing in the world.
About ten people from PBT (the company that bought us) came out to visit us yesterday. We had a meet-and-greet, and an impromptu meeting around lunchtime. They all seem to be very smart, well-educated, (nearly all of them have PhD's or MBA's) and, did I mention, very tan? They live in California, after all. Maybe I could get a job transfer? Kidding, kidding. I'm really kidding. They seem to be very nice people, though.
I really, really enjoy being a wife. I really do. But I don't think all wives do. There's this website called thenest.com, which is basically theknot.com for married people. :) Anyway, they have message boards on thenest, and I've decided, after browsing through several different boards, that they give horrible advice, and heaven help anyone who heeds their advice. One woman was complaining that she does almost all of the housework, and wanted to know how she can get her husband to pitch in. Honest to God, there were several women who suggested that she stop cleaning at all, and he'll eventually get the hint, after the house is a disaster area. Oh, YEAH, that's a mature, loving, and unselfish way to handle the situation!
But I don't think women would appreciate my advice in the situation. I'd be labeled as "too traditional." But I enjoy being traditional.
We don't really have any set-in-stone plans for the weekend just yet. We were invited to a birthday party at ESPN Zone, where they'll have dinner and play some of the games, but we just can't afford that right now. We're really trying to save right now, plus we'll need a teeny bit of spending money saved up for Cabo. (which is just a month and a day away!!) Anyway, the weather is supposed to be nice and warm tomorrow, so I'm hoping we can go to the park after Ryan leaves the office. That's something we haven't done in a while. :)
Hope you all have a fast workday, and a great weekend!
Yeah, I've seen the gripes on the Nest too... and I think to myself..."Why on earth did you not talk about and agree on these things BEFORE you got married?" Ethan and I split everything evenly down the middle and we know exactly who is responsible for what. This is not to say that the other person won't pick up the slack if one can't get to it (example: I dislocated my shoulder and was out of commission for a couple of weeks). This may be "non-traditional" but we're a pretty non-traditional couple as it so happens.
As for leaving the house messy.... I had a friend who did this (after trying to talk to her husband several times to no avail), and it actually worked for them. The guy was a neat freak but expected her to do all the work. When he noticed the house wasn't clean he also noticed just how much she did around the house and decided on his own that he needed to contribute more. In this situation they both worked 9-5. I think if a woman stays home, then yeah - she should be responsible for the bulk of the cleaning. But if she works too - the couple has got to come to an agreement about what they think is fair.... just my two cents.
Have an awesome weekend!
#
posted by Anonymous :
8:47 AM, February 24, 2006
Ok everyone in my family cringes whenever I pick up a sharp object....yeah I'm that accident prone.
RYC the reason we aren't exclusive right now if because we are getting to know each other better. However, this weekend will make 2 months that we have been talking and while I know we haven't seen each other that much I am just starting to try to figure out how long we have to take before we know each other. Like, Justin pointed out.."How long are you willing to wait?"
#
posted by Anonymous :
10:48 AM, February 24, 2006
there aren't many of you, emily. ryan is a lucky man. ; ) you are very mature for your age i think. granted, you are new to marriage ... BUT that doesn't mean that you don't have your priorities straight. i love that you are not afraid to brag on your husband or display such wonderful affections for him. that is beautiful. and most important... you know good advice as well as bad and can easily differentiate b/t the two. hope you have a great weekend! ; )
#
posted by Anonymous :
1:01 PM, February 24, 2006
I work with knives everyday at work and my mother still won't let me use one in the kitchen. Some women have no idea how to be wives at all. I think it's mostly the older generation. I think (at least i hope) that my generation and younger are making a difference in how marriage is perceived and stuff. I know so many people my age and younger who are trying to do better than those before us. 1950's-we're not. But we've got a good balance of 1950 and 2006 i think.
#
posted by mudwoman1326 :
1:01 PM, February 24, 2006
oh..thanks for your comment btw. my hair is naturally wavy. it's thick and unruly.. but it's something on me that i wouldn't trade ever. not too many things i love about myself.. but it is one. ; ) thanks for your sweet words my dear : )
#
posted by Anonymous :
1:02 PM, February 24, 2006