Ryan and I were laying in bed last night, and I asked, "Is it bad that I've been thinking about babies lately?" and he replies with a very emphatic, "YES!" Not exactly the answer I was expecting. I thought maybe he'd think it was sweet that I was thinking about babies down the road, but no.
Lesson #1,203,041 : Men and women think differently.
Apparently, he thought because I was thinking about babies, that I wanted to start trying for one. Like, now. This was not the case! I've merely been thinking about how neat it is to think about what our babies will look like; what features of Ryan's will they have, and what features will they get from me. What will their little personalities be like? Will they be like me, more like Ryan, or a good mixture of both? It's fascinating to me.
Obviously, I love babies--I'm a woman, and, like most women, it comes naturally. I've thought about how much I want to be a mom since I was really little. (I owe a lot of that to my great rolemodel!) But I want to enjoy married life first, and I know we're not where we should be financially to not only support a baby (they're expensive) and allow me to be a stay at home mom. (big drop in income)
But I still didn't understand why he reacted the way he did. Then he explains to me that yes, he definitely wants to have kids... we had already discussed when, and how many we'd want to have, while we were seriously dating, to make sure we had similar ideas. But when he now starts hearing me talk about babies, he starts thinking about what he needs to do to make sure he can support me and a new baby. Wow. I have an amazing husband; have I mentioned that lately? I am so, so blessed.
So, after we finally figured out why we were not seeing eye to eye, (men and women, gotta love it!) I fell asleep. Well, Ryan was awake till 3 . :( I feel so guilty! He was really tired last night, and I feel like if I hadn't brought it up, he would've gotten plenty of sleep. Oops. No more baby talk for a while.
Anyway, last night we also discussed a "savings plan"--how much we want to save from each paycheck, to put in our savings account. Exciting! We're also starting to look at two bedroom apartments. Even though our lease isn't up till September or so, we'd have to give 2 months' notice if we want to move after our lease is up, so I thought it'd be a good idea to start looking around now. It's sad that we really have no chance of buying anything in this area, (250k for just a condo here!) but since Ryan's doing so well with his job, we probably will be in the area for longer than we had originally thought. Oh well! Life doesn't always go according to the plans you've made in your head. God knows better than we ever could, so we're taking it as it comes.
Oh, and Happy Groundhog Day! :) We'll definitely be watching that movie tonight. Mmhmm. Have a good one!
Men and women do think differently. In my case, it was HIM that though about babies first. Me? I just freaked. I want to enjoy our time together a little while longer before the stress of a wedding and newlywed stuff gets in the way... Wave to me as I pass No Va tomorrow...well, go near it anyway.
#
posted by mudwoman1326 :
12:03 PM, February 02, 2006
Wow... 2 months notice?! That's crazy!! I've heard of 30 days before but never 2 months!
I scared Jon the same way =P It's one of those things where a part of me would love babies now, but I want a few years to just be married before we bring children into the mix! Besides, I'm selfish... I LOVE my sleep!! ;)
#
posted by Anonymous :
12:08 PM, February 02, 2006
Men and women totally do think differently! However the important thing is you both know what you want in the future!
#
posted by Anonymous :
12:58 PM, February 02, 2006
i think it's just natural. it's the next step for most people so it's natural to think about it.
i of course will recommend waiting a bit.. b/c OH can i just say... life does change. yowza... does it ever! enjoy your time together now, go to movies, go on dates, sleep IN. ugghhh. i wouldn't trade my munchkins for anything. but i'm glad too that i can say adrian and i had two years together just us before brendon came into our life together. and i cherish those days and the memories we made during that time. i think your desire for a family is endearing and just another wonderful part of who you are. you will both be fantastic parents. no doubt about that. have a good weekend!
#
posted by Anonymous :
12:53 AM, February 03, 2006