I went. I voted. Yet Democrat Tim Kaine won by 20,000 votes.
Explain to me how during a PRESIDENTIAL election, we're a Republican state, yet for local, state elections, we vote Democrat. Even more mind boggling is how we vote in a Democrat Governor, yet a Republican Lt. Governor and Attorney General! Not that I'm complaining, I'm just trying to show how ridiculous this is.
And why Kaine? His record is appalling! He's manipulative, deceitful, and lied through his teeth to get as many votes as possible. He reminds me of John Kerry, because he has voted one way, yet turned around and said he won't do that as Governor.
Right. For one, he's a Democrat, which means? Generally speaking, that means more spending. In a debate with Kilgore, he all but guaranteed that he will raise taxes if elected as Governor. He voted in favor of a "gas tax", he's all for removing the death penalty, he's all for abortion, (which I am strongly, strongly against) he supports the benefits of illegal aliens, and quite frankly, I just can't stand to look at the guy.
For Kaine, as with most Democrats, the solution is to throw money at the problem. After all, that's what's wrong with the public school system, right? All they need is more money, right? The public school system is so corrupt, the only thing that can possibly change it for the better is reform. If most Americans knew what we pay, per student, they would be downright furious.
I'll tell you why we voted in a Democrat. There are really several reasons. One? During the 2004 Presidential election, 61% of registered voters went out and voted. Not great a number if you ask me. But do you know how many voted in yesterday's state election? 44%. Somehow, in those 17% of voters, we lost plenty of Republican voters.
What's more, I really don't think Kilgore had the best ads. I know it's dumb to base your vote on a commercial, but the fact of the matter is, Kaine was more persuasive. Sure, he was lying through his teeth, but you saw so much of him that you couldn't help but be familiarized with his face and his name.
I found Kilgore to be endearing, and I agreed with his values. Those who say you don't mix values with politics, I quite frankly will never understand. And I felt he was a better fit for Virginia. We are supposedly a Republican state. I mean, we've just had Mark Warner, a Democrat, as Governor, and what did he try to do? He projected we'd have a deficit of 257 million dollars, his justification for wanting to raise taxes, and we wound up having a surplus! We haven't benefited from our past Democrat Governor, why would Kaine be any different? I felt it was definitely time to move on.
I should stop, I guess. Yes, I'm angry. More than anything, I'm angry that less than half of registered voters actually went out and voted. Voting is a privilege, and it seems like a lot of people can just take it or leave it. They don't realize how hard this country fought for that privilege, and they really must not care about how our state is governed. Very, very sad indeed. It also comes down to pride--for our state, and being proud of our country and those who have made it what it is today.
Today alone I've been told a) I have really nice hair, (by the lady in the toll booth--she was so nice!) and b) I should've gotten into politics. Who knew?
Oh, and if you're not in VA, I hope I didn't bore you to death. :) Back to my normal, happy, peppy self tomorrow!
I am glad you speak your mind! I hope it make you feel better!!
So 31 days until you get married now...
:)
#
posted by Anonymous :
9:41 AM, November 09, 2005
Neither candidate is a saint or perfect in any way shape or form, but most elections come down to the key points of taxes and abortion. I voted for Kaine because of his stance on abortion. It was just more important to me than having to pay more taxes.
#
posted by Anonymous :
10:37 AM, November 09, 2005
Sorry i can't rant with ya!
#
posted by mudwoman1326 :
3:08 PM, November 09, 2005
hmmm...well i probably would have to agree with you emily, although i do not know much about kaine...most republicans are morally sound, at least more than democrats (not always true..but mostly...ie kerry, clinton...)
anyway...the anonymous person--how does kaine stand on abortion? b/c if he's for abortion---BLAH-----against it-i'm surprised, but glad.
#
posted by Anonymous :
3:26 PM, November 09, 2005
NO worries about the venting. I found it amusing, actually:)
#
posted by mudwoman1326 :
3:41 PM, November 09, 2005
I'm not from Virginia... but Californians aren't too happy about our election either. I think most of us are glad the props didn't pass, but a lot of people are angry that the expensive election even existed.
It really bothers me when people don't vote. I'm not trying to sound corny or like a myartr... but Jon fights for our right to vote and so few people even care.
#
posted by Anonymous :
5:16 PM, November 09, 2005
hate it when things like this happen the way they do! i agree with you completely....you did what you could though....at least you voted....we'll just have to keep praying that government will come back to being "under God". take care hon! vincy
#
posted by Anonymous :
7:30 PM, November 09, 2005
Forget the issues, he's got freaky eyebrows, and that's why he didn't get my vote ;-) LOL
Seriously though, I'm as confuzzled as you are about why on earth people would want a Democratic governor, but a Republican lt. gov. and a Republican attorney general. Go fig.
LOVE YOU!!!
#
posted by Anonymous :
7:49 PM, November 09, 2005
Forget the issues, Kaine's got freaky eyebrows, and that's why he didn't get my vote ;-) LOL
Seriously though, I'm as confuzzled as you are about why people would want a Democratic governor, but a Republican lt. gov. and attorney general. Go fig. People are so weird :)
#
posted by Anonymous :
8:02 PM, November 09, 2005
you do have pretty hair AND you should have went into politics. FANTASTIC. i loved this post. i'm not very political. granted, i know who i vote for and why i vote for them. i am also republican and very strongly against abortion. some people say that isn't enough to determine my vote, it is in my book. of course there are always other factors i look at too. i really thought this was great though b/c you have interest in something important, and girl are you educated on it as well.
have a great rest of the week.
#
posted by Anonymous :
12:45 AM, November 10, 2005
you do have pretty hair AND you should have went into politics. FANTASTIC. i loved this post. i'm not very political. granted, i know who i vote for and why i vote for them. i am also republican and very strongly against abortion. some people say that isn't enough to determine my vote, it is in my book. of course there are always other factors i look at too. i really thought this was great though b/c you have interest in something important, and girl are you educated on it as well.
have a great rest of the week.
#
posted by Anonymous :
12:45 AM, November 10, 2005
i just left a comment and i don't know what happened to it. ; ( bummed.
i really liked this post. i think i said something along the lines of you do have nice hair AND should have gone into politics. i'm republican and very strongly against abortion as well.
i think it's great that you are not only educated on what you support but that you speak on it once in a while. very interesting post. have a good rest of the week. ; )
#
posted by Anonymous :
12:47 AM, November 10, 2005
i keep posting and it's not working. :*(
#
posted by Anonymous :
12:48 AM, November 10, 2005