I decided to put up new background music. It's Third Day's, "The Everlasting." I adore it. It gets stuck in my head constantly. If you want to see the lyrics for it, click here.
Ryan surprised me by coming over for lunch at my office yesterday. :) He called out of the blue to say he was coming over--he just wanted to see me. He is the sweetest.
I'll be honest--at first, the thought of all we had to do for premarital counseling seemed a little...intense. Three books, three books on tape (15 tapes) and 8, one and a half hour sessions with the pastor. Not to mention the nine pages of questions he had us fill out! (Which took me, oh, roughly two hours to do) But I can't even tell you how much of a blessing it has turned out to be. It's wonderful. Sure, it's a lot of work--but of all things to invest hard work into, I think this is definitely worth it.
Our session last night dealt with compatibility, and communication. First off, let me just say--I love our pastor. He is so animated, and full of life and passion. He's about 70 years old, but he's like a much younger man trapped in an older body! He is so full of energy. You can really tell that he is passionate about what he is saying. The thing I also love about our sessions is that they're private--not with a bunch of other couples. This allows it to be completely interactive.
After our pastor talked specifically about how important clarification is when you're dealing with two different people that are trying to understand each other, Ryan laughed and brought up our experience in that area. He talked about how his background in a reformed church differed from mine. (I knew about Calvin, but thought TULIP was a flower) Anyway, when we first started dating and would talk about our beliefs, he had to keep in mind that I had no idea what he was trying to get across, so he had to really expound on what he viewed as simple, commonplace views. He grew up with reformed teaching, while I didn't. Yes, I grew up in the church, but how it was taught to us varied.
I went on to tell our pastor how it was so funny trying to get over that communication barrier. At first, we got frustrated, thinking that we were actually in disagreement over this view or that view, but once we talked through it, we realized that we were simply trying to get across the same view, but we were just saying it in two different ways! Once we talked through it, we realized that we actually agreed, but had two entirely different ways of expressing our beliefs. It was so exciting when we realized that we actually were in agreement, and our relationship deepened.
Anyway, yes, it was a productive session. :) It really didn't seem like it lasted an hour and a half...I loved it! I turned in my questions, too. I enjoyed it, but it was definitely very thorough.
So..it's Thursday! Where did the week go?
Oh my goodness, I just realized that I marry Ryan in 79 days. Wow! :) Time is really flying, that's for sure. Things are coming along...we're mailing out a few of our invitations next week, and the remainder will go out the following week. Also, my Mom ordered her dress for the wedding. :) It's beautiful! She's going to look so great.
Oh, before the invitations go out, I need to completely move our wedding website to a different address. I can't forget about doing that! If I forget, all of our guests that try to go to the address listed will be very confused about why they were directed there. (because there's nothing there at the present time...you know, minor details) Ah, technology.
Communication is key. I think it's great that your pastor is like that.
#
posted by mudwoman1326 :
8:09 AM, September 22, 2005
Do i get points for having checked that you updated before you put that on your xanga? lol
#
posted by mudwoman1326 :
8:26 AM, September 22, 2005
Oh yay i've won! I don't care what! I'm excited! I ask because of the play I'm involved in. I want everyone's opinions. (also called research in the theatre community) we're doing Inherit the Wind and since a few communities around here are doing the reverse of what happened in the play im asking around. :) Thanks for participating!
#
posted by mudwoman1326 :
8:52 AM, September 22, 2005
It sounds like the premarital counseling is going great! And I am glad you are enjoying it.
That wedding is coming up very soon...wait that means I get married in 117 days....wow. Time does fly!
#
posted by Anonymous :
9:18 AM, September 22, 2005
Hi, I found you from the engaged couples blogring on Xanga... I enjoyed reading your entries. Anyway, congratulations, it's coming up soon! My fiance and I learned all about communication in our pre-marital. I can't tell you how many times we nodded and almost laughed 'cause some things were so true. I was wondering what books you're reading for it. Our counseling was private, as well, but we only had 4 one hour sessions. We were planning on going to talk to him a little bit closer to the wedding, but I feel like it was a little short, so I was looking for some GOOD books to read and just wondered what books he's having you read and if you could recommend any. Oh, the Third Day song is beautiful! I've never heard it before... I really like it.
#
posted by Anonymous :
9:55 AM, September 22, 2005
I <3 Third Day... I had to go download this song (and a couple others of theirs I've always loved) - all because of you! ;) Good choice.
Are you going to be announcing it on Xanga now when you update? I agree with what "mudwoman1326" said - do I get points for checking before you announced the update? Haha!
Sounds like everything with your counseling is going wonderfully - that's so great! And hey, 79 days... that's going to FLY! :)
.ashlee.
#
posted by Anonymous :
2:58 PM, September 22, 2005
Haha. Did I say Skillet? I meant Kutless. I don't know why I said Skillet. Haha. Anyway, have a great day!! Love ya!!
#
posted by Anonymous :
4:28 PM, September 22, 2005
from vincy....... hooray! i think this will post! i know you hear it from everyone that communication is key, but it's so true! tom and i took a communication class not that long ago, and it's been priceless in our relationship......i can't believe the wedding is so close! i can't even imagine how excited you are! at least now i can tell you i'm excited for you! take care!
#
posted by Anonymous :
8:56 PM, September 22, 2005
*sigh* This song is so good. :-D
LOVE YOU!!!! I'm so happy that things are going well at counseling! :-) Yay!
PS - No plans for Saturday! :-D Woo!
#
posted by Anonymous :
10:07 PM, September 22, 2005